Iran open to direct nuclear talks with US if conditions are right, says vice president

Iran open to direct nuclear talks with US if conditions are right, says vice president

Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad-Reza Aref has said that Tehran is open to holding direct nuclear negotiations with the United States if “favourable and equal” conditions are met. Speaking to reporters, Aref stressed that any talks must safeguard the interests of both sides.

“Iran is ready to negotiate under equal conditions,” Aref said, according to the official IRNA news agency. “If the conditions are suitable, the negotiations can be held even directly.” He underlined that Iran is not against negotiations but will reject any talks that attempt to impose Washington’s agenda.

Aref accused the U.S. of insincerity, saying Iran has offered to build trust, “but it seems as if they are feigning sleep.” He also criticised certain Western countries for politicising Iran’s nuclear issue, calling the “zero enrichment scheme” a “big joke.”

The remarks come amid heightened tensions following a violent escalation earlier this year. On June 13, just before the sixth round of indirect U.S.-Iran nuclear talks, Israel launched major airstrikes on Iranian nuclear and military sites, killing senior commanders, nuclear scientists, and civilians. Iran retaliated with missile and drone attacks on Israel.

Subsequently, on June 22, U.S. forces bombed Iran’s nuclear facilities at Natanz, Fordow, and Isfahan. Tehran responded by striking the U.S. Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar. The 12-day conflict ended with a ceasefire between Iran and Israel on June 24.

In recent days, Washington has demanded that Tehran completely halt uranium enrichment — a demand firmly rejected by Iran. The possibility of direct talks could mark a significant shift in the stalled nuclear negotiations, depending on the diplomatic environment in the coming weeks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *