Bangladesh plane crash: 33 still hospitalised, most are children

Bangladesh plane crash: 33 still hospitalised, most are children

A total of 33 individuals, including 27 children, remain hospitalised following the tragic Bangladesh Air Force jet crash into Dhaka’s Milestone School and College last week, according to officials.

Professor Nasir Uddin, Acting Director of the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, confirmed on Monday that three patients are in critical condition, with another three classified as severe. “Two patients were on ventilators as of Sunday. Sadly, we lost one of them,” he told reporters.

He added that three patients with moderate burns are now stable and expected to be discharged soon, though their release has been delayed due to weather and family concerns.

While the official death toll has yet to be released by the government, local reports say at least 34 people have died, most of them children. “The Ministry will disclose the official number of fatalities,” Nasir Uddin said, avoiding further comment on casualties.

The crash occurred on July 21 when a Bangladesh Air Force F-7 BGI training jet, manufactured in China, crashed into the school building in Dhaka’s Uttara area around 1:30 p.m. after taking off at 1:06 p.m., according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

In response, a medical team from India is assisting with critical care. Specialists from Delhi’s Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and Safdarjung Hospital—two premier institutions for burn and plastic surgery—have reviewed patient cases and are advising on treatment strategies.

The incident has sparked deep concern across the region and prompted swift collaboration between Bangladesh and India to provide life-saving medical aid to the injured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *